Is Extra 600 Unemployment Taxable?

I’m unemployed, but I heard that the extra 600 dollars I’m receiving are taxable. Is this true? It can be confusing to figure out whether or not your unemployment benefits are taxable. You’re not alone in feeling uncertain about this. 

Is extra 600 unemployment taxable? The extra 600 unemployment is taxable. The emergency federal 600 Unemployment Insurance Relief benefits are considered taxable income for both federal and state taxes.

The good news is that we have this article to help you determine whether or not your unemployment benefits are taxable. Keep reading for more information on this topic.

Is Extra 600 Unemployment Taxable?

When you’re unemployed, unemployment benefits can help you keep your head above water financially — hopefully until you find another work.

The following are some of the most common sources of unemployment compensation:

  • The Federal Unemployment Trust Fund
  • State unemployment insurance
  • A company-financed fund (which may not be taxable)
  • A private fund to which you voluntarily contributed

In general, unemployment compensation is taxable as income at the federal and maybe state levels. Extra 600 unemployment benefits are also taxable. However, if the benefits you receive from a private fund that you have voluntarily enrolled in exceed the money you put into it, they will only be taxed federally.

Millions of Americans are now receiving taxable unemployment compensation, many of them for the first time, and the IRS reminded people on unemployment insurance that they may have taxes withheld from their payments to help avoid owing taxes on this money when they file their federal income tax return in 2019.

Calculating Taxes On Extra 600 Unemployment

The extra $600 that many Americans are receiving in addition to their unemployment compensation. The Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation program established as part of the CARES Act provides for a $600 weekly boost for unemployed individuals.

Workers who accept these grants shouldn’t be shocked when this cash is characterized as taxable revenue. After all, unemployment compensation has never been tax-free.

The typical options for paying unemployment benefits taxes are to pay quarterly estimated taxes or to have income taxes withheld. If you want the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to withhold part of your pay to pay federal and state income taxes, you may fill out a Form W-4V with them. Paying estimated quarterly taxes is more difficult, but there is still room for online payment.

At the federal level, unemployment compensation is included in your income, along with your wages, salaries, bonuses, and other benefits, and taxed depending on your federal income tax bracket.

How To File Extra 600 Unemployment On Your Federal Taxes?

You should receive a Form 1099-G from your state or the payor of your unemployment benefits in early 2022 for the unemployment income you received in 2021. The full amount of your payments should appear in box 1 of the form. The IRS will get a copy of your Form 1099-G, so it will know how much you received.

Paying Unemployment Taxes at the Federal Level

There are three options for paying your federal income taxes with unemployment benefits. If you don’t anticipate your payments to contribute much to your tax liabilities, it may be preferable to pay the whole amount at tax time. The following alternatives can assist you to avoid having an expensive tax bill when you file.

1. Request your state employment agency to withhold your federal taxes. If you don’t pay your taxes, the government will deduct a flat 10% of each of your unemployment payments to fulfill federal obligations.

Most of the time, you may choose to have your taxes taken out when you initially apply for unemployment compensation. To begin withholding your taxes, fill out and submit Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request to the agency that is disbursing your unemployment benefits.

Fill out a Form W-4V with your unemployment office or on the IRS website if you want to request voluntary withholding. If you need an alternate form, use one from your employer.

2. Make quarterly estimated tax payments. Estimating quarterly payments to the IRS is a good way to avoid a large tax penalty. You may lessen your tax burden by making regular installments to the US Treasury throughout the year. Another alternative for paying your taxes on time is to make estimated yearly payments. Unlike having taxes withheld, you’ll have to dole them out yourself.

You may choose to make quarterly estimated payments and withhold your taxes if your overall tax withholding does not cover enough of the income taxes you will owe, depending on how much unemployment benefits and other sources of money you receive.

3. Pay your taxes in full. If you need your entire Unemployment Compensation for your costs but can’t make quarterly anticipated payments, you may pay all of your taxes at once if they are due.

If you did not pay enough taxes throughout the year, you may be penalized an underpayment penalty. The fee might not be significant, depending on how much unemployment compensation you receive.

State Taxes On Extra 600 Unemployment

When it comes to state income taxes, things are a bit more complicated. Most states tax unemployment compensation fully. Some states, on the other hand, do not tax them (because they don’t have an income tax), and a handful of states will solely tax part of your benefits.

Furthermore, certain states made limited special exemptions to their normal rules in order to assist individuals who had lost their jobs owing to the COVID-19 epidemic.

In most states, UI benefits are also taxed. Only six states — Alabama, California, Montana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia —exempt UI payments from income taxes in general. Because of the epidemic, many states are currently providing limited tax credits on unemployment insurance payments; therefore, consult your state’s tax department to ensure you receive all applicable discounts.


It is important to know that your emergency federal 600 unemployment benefits, which you may have received each week in addition to your regular unemployment benefits, are considered taxable income for both federal and most of the state taxes.

If you were not aware of this when filing your previous tax return or if the change has occurred since then, please contact a tax professional as soon as possible. In order to file accurately with the IRS and any other taxing agency, all sources of income must be reported correctly.